It is no surprise that research has shown that prolonged sitting is associated with many detrimental changes in our body, including reduced fat metabolism, muscle atrophy, muscle function, and increased risk of sedentary lifestyle-related diseases.
Moving your body is a health habit that is not only good for temporary weight loss, but for the rest of your life!
How To Burn Extra Calories During Your Day
- Walk to a water fountain (H2O is essential for losing and maintaining a healthy weight).
- Walk to a colleague's office instead of calling or emailing.
- Store things you need out of reach so you have to get up and walk to get them.
- Walk to a park and eat lunch instead of ordering in.
- Take standing breaks at home, too - whether you're talking on the phone or watching TV.
- Take a walking break instead of a coffee break.
- Do wall push-ups while you wait for copies.
- Program your computer to alert you to get up for a short walk every hour or so.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park a couple of blocks from work, increase your walking distance.
Find an activity you like, and start moving! Walking is a good activity to begin with; you can do it just about anywhere, alone or with friends, and it's easily modified to your current fitness level.
Teach at least one friend about the benefits of exercise and encourage them to increase their activity and improve their health habits.
It's the little positive changes we make every day that have the biggest long-term impact on our health!